Wednesday, February 11, 2009

When Did We Lose Control???

When did we lose control? While getting my morning chores done before heading to church to help cook our Wednesday night meal, I was listening to our local news on the radio. The sports updates were on (mainly high schools sports around the area). That's when it happened! Not the first time this school year, but the overwhelming "disgust", maybe it was more "severe sadness" enveloped me! I was almost paralyzed!! The announcer was discussing the regional basketball tournaments taking place Wednesday evening. I repeat, WEDNESDAY EVENING!!!!!! Is anybody else seeing the wrong in this? Is anybody feeling what I'm feeling, or have we just grown numb? When did we succumb to the way of the world??

I have seen MANY games being played throughout this school year on Wednesday nights!! Worse than that (in my eyes), there are sports activities taking place on Sunday mornings. My heart breaks when I think about this. Why are we as Christ-followers allowing this to happen?? What are we telling our children when we allow the "authorities" to dictate over our beliefs that Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings are God's!!!!????

When my kids were in school and active in sports, Wednesday nights were practice nights, yes!! But, if their church activities conflicted with practice, they were "allowed" to attend church without the possibility of repercussion for missing practice. GOD FIRST!!! There was never a game on a Wednesday night! The school "reserved" Wednesdays for church! When did we lose control?? Better question, why have we given up our control??

Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel with being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. Philippians 1:27-28.


Being a Christ-follower is rough! The fear of our children being punished (running laps, staying late, etc), benched during the next game, or even teased can be scary. But didn't Christ endure far more than that for our freedom?! I pray that if I still had kids in school, I would stand-up for my beliefs!!


Next comes the discussion of working on Sunday. I'm just as guilty as everyone else. I think nothing of running to WalMart to get whatever on Sunday, to fill up my gas tank, to eat out after church. Where did we lose control? When did we allow the ways of the world to take over?

What would happen if we just said "NO!! Enough is enough!!"??? LORD, here my cries!!!


Just remember as you maybe fuming at my thoughts- they are MY thoughts!! LORD, please forgive me!! I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts!!

No comments:

Post a Comment